Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hara Bhara Kabab

I recently got a wonderful cookbook called Complete Book of Indian Cooking by Suneeta Vaswani. Its filled with 350 delicious recipes and beautiful photographs. This one was particularly good. And quite healthy too.


Hara Bhara Kabab
(Spinach and Potato Patties)

2 Russet or gold potatoes
2 cups Spinach, cooked and squeezed dry
1/4 cup Peas, cooked and coarsely mashed
1.5 tbsp Green Chillies, chopped
1 tbsp Ginger, finely chopped
3 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tbsp Chaat Masala
Salt, to taste
3 tbsp Oil

In a saucepan of boiling water, cook whole potatoes until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, peel and mash.

In a bowl, mix together potatoes, spinach, peas, chillies, ginger, cilantro, chaat masala, cornstarch and salt, until well blended. Divide into 12 portions. Form into 2-inch round patties.

In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tbsp of the oil over medium heat. Add 6 patties at a time and pan fry on both sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with chutney or ketchup.


3 comments:

Bhavani said...

Oh yum! It looks so tasty. I want one of each, the kabab as well as the cookbook :)Amazing snap Anu.

vijaya said...

Hi Arundathi,

I am a frequent reader of your blog. You have some lovely recipes, a variety of them too and great baking skills.
I have tried some your recipes, the tomato mor kozhambu is so simple but a favorite of ours.

Suneets Vaswani's book is really good. I actually got the book at the book release where I met her. She served some recipes from the book there. I am generally skeptical of books which try to cover different regions as I feel they end not doing justice to some of them. But the recipes in this book have so far been good and I think mostly authentic. The dal recipes are good and so is one recipe of kaala channa dill pulao, its one of my all time favorites.

keep blogging,
Vijaya

vijaya said...

also why are you not updating the chennai blog? I loved reading that too, my husband is from there so....:-)