Sunday, June 20, 2010

Milagushyam

My husband's family is from Kerala and I've learnt a lot of food from my mother in law who is a superb cook! Her cooking, though, is totally on the fly and she hardly uses or writes down any recipes or ingredient quantities. I've tried my best to document her cooking.


Milagushyam
(vegetables in a spiced coconut curry)

1 cup Toor Dal, cooked
1 cup Vegetables (any vegetable except okra, cabbage and eggplant), diced
1 cup Coconut, shredded
1 tso Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Peppercorn
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
Salt, to taste
Seasoning:
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
3-4 Curry Leaves
2-3 Dried Red Chillies

Cook the diced vegetables with the turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Meanwhile, grind together the coconut, cumin and peppercorn and add to the cooking vegetables. Add the cooked dal to the veggies as well.

Heat some oil in another pan and add the seasoning ingredients. When the mustard seeds pop, add the seasoning to the vegetable curry.

4 comments:

Raaga said...

this is very similar to the pindimiriyam I made (an Andhra dish).

I love dal and veggies in one dish :)

Bhavani said...

Nice. I make this by another name though.:)I just call it kootu :)Love it.

Siri said...

Love the dish. very yummy and soothing :D. Good to see you back Anu.

Cheers,
Siri

Arundathi said...


@ Raaga - I do too. Started loving kootus in my old age. Hated it as a kid!

@ Bhavani - Yes, babe - I think the mallus just call it something else but its slightly different from the usual kootu we make at home.

@ Siri - Thanks! Good to be back! And lovely to hear from you.