Saturday, February 14, 2009

Banana Chocolate Bread

I've been terribly out of touch with my blogs for a few months. What can I say? December is always so busy that sometimes I need a couple months of hibernation just to recover.

In my hibernation, I forgot to add my contribution to the Sweet and Simple Bakes February bake. I did make the bread but didn't blog about it. So here it is. It's one of the simplest and most delicious breads I've ever made. My daughter actually did the mashing, mixing and tasting! Here's the recipe from Maria and Rosie of Sweet and Simple Bakes:


Banana Chocolate Bread

9 oz Self-Raising Flour
Pinch of Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
5 oz Caster Sugar
3 ½ oz Butter, softened
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Finely grated zest of 1 orange (I left this out - not a big fan of orange zest)
4 small Bananas, peeled
3 oz Chocolate Chips

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.

Lightly butter and line the loaf tin with parchment paper. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar and butter and, using your fingertips, rub it in until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest in another bowl.


Add the bananas and mash very well with a potato masher. Add the chocolate chips. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture. Gently but thoroughly bring all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, then pour into the prepared loaf tin.

Smooth the top and bake in the oven for 1-1 ¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the cake from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.

Everyone should try this at least once in their lives. It's absolutely amazing.

18 comments:

Bhavani said...

Looks really soft and yummy. Welcome back.We missed your posts.

Siri said...

good to see u back in action Anu. Love the texture of the bread.:)

Siri

Ranjani said...

YAAAAY! you're back woohoo!
Looks moist and delicious!I made something similar last week with choc chips,,,can you believe I'm baking?!!

Chutneytales said...

It looks yummy..Where do you get chocolate chips in chennai..I have searched in many super markets like Spencers and Nilgirs..I dont get it there..Where can i buy that?

Bharti said...

Good to see you dude! I agree- banana bread with choc chips is a must try and eat.

Cynthia said...

It is only recently that I have started to add chocolate to my banana bread. So good.

Deeba PAB said...

What fun to have a helppair of little hands Arundhati...Kavya must have enjoyed eating that yummy loaf too!! How've you been? Much love
Deeba

Jamie said...

The bread looks wonderful. Your daughter did a great job too!

Divya Kudua said...

Lovely banana choc bread Anu..been thinking of making this ever since I saw the round-up..you have been missing for a while isn't it..;-).Hope you get back to blogging soon!!

Priya Suresh said...

Lovely bread Anu..just missing ur bakes n breads:) come back soon..

Raaga said...

I've been thinking of this for a while... nice to see Kavya...err... you in action ;-)

Arundathi said...


Bhavani - Thanks, babe - trying to slowly get back!

Siri - Thanks dear. Wish the photographs had been better. But the texture was great!

Ranjani - :-))) Glad to be back my dear!! I can't believe you're baking - gonna have to check what you've been making! Send photographs!

Madhumathi - You can get chocolate chips at Nuts and Spices. They have outlets all over the city.

Bharti - Good to see you too! Thanks for dropping by!

Cynthia - Yup - can't believe I haven't done it all these years!

Deeba - Been very well. I hope your kids have been good too. Have to catch up on your delicious posts! :-)

Jamie - Thanks!

Divya Kudua - You should give it a try - its delicious!

Priya - Will do! Thanks!

Raaga - Yes, yes, I'm living off Kavya's baking!! lol!

Finla said...

I love this combo and the cake looks so yumm.
Looks like your little one is having fun in mashing the bananas.

vandana rajesh said...

The chocolate banana bread looks good...chocolateand banana go very well indeed

Arundathi said...


Happy Cook - Yup - she had a great time! Thanks.

Vandana Rajesh - they really do - who would've known!

Ranjani said...

I just made this!!! It's fabulous...I can bake i can bake!! woohoo:))))

Thanks for sharing..it's an awesome fool proof recipe.

Arundathi said...


Ranjani - woohoo!! :)) good for you! yes, it is foolproof - and delicious!

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read this post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.