Saturday, April 12, 2008

Akki Roti



Originally from Karnataka, this "roti" is close to a thin adai. Akki means Rice in Kannada, and these are thick, soft rice crepes.

I've loved these rotis (pronounced "rotti") ever since I was a little girl and would get them for breakfast when I holidayed with my grandparents in Bangalore.

Easy to make and packed with flavor, these are great for a hearty breakfast or brunch. In the original recipe, you would essentially make a dough and pat the dough onto a pan to form a thick rotti/ tortilla. But I like them thin and crispy - and so, I made a batter rather than a dough by mixing in lots of water to make it of pouring consistency.



Akki Roti

2 cups Rice Flour
4 green chillies, chopped
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 tbsp coriander, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 pinch asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 onion, chopped
Salt, to taste

Mix all the ingredients with a little oil in warm water. I added enough water to make a thin batter.
Spread some oil on a heated pan and pour a 1/4 cupful onto the pan. Cover and let steam. Turn over and drizzle some oil on top.
Cook well on both sides till golden brown.



I love to eat it all by itself. But it tastes very good with a mild chutney.



I'm sending this one to Srivalli @ Cooking4allseasons for the Dosa Mela. This is the last one, I promise. As you can see, I'm a dosa freak too, Srivalli!

5 comments:

Lakshmi said...

For a thin and crisp rotti, it would be good to make a dough and pat it thin on the rotti pan. Fry the pan over a low flame. Incidentally even I have mix veggie akki rotti on my blog, do visit when you have time.

Dee said...

love akki roti arundathi!!looks yummy!!

Cham said...

My husb fav akki roti have do make soon in my kitchen.

Vani said...

I love akki rottis! I make the original way though- dough consistency & patted on directly on the kadai. I like this version too. A lot easier and faster to make - same flavor! Nice entry fr dosa mela

Arundathi said...

@ lg - yes, i'm sure you're right. I just prefer this because its faster! :) and turns out as well...

@ dee - thanks!

@ cham - do let us know how it turned out!

@ vani - yes, i've tried both versions and this is definitely faster! and it does taste the same, so... Thanks!